Useful Links

Aboriginal & CALD

  • Indigenous Family Violence:   This program supports individuals to make positive changes to the way in which they are living. It is aimed at Aboriginal people who are experiencing, or are at risk of, domestic violence or other threatening behaviour. They work with Aboriginal families in the Fremantle, Cockburn and Melville areas to address family violence. They provide a free and confidential service. As part of the program, participants can be connected to other services. These include assistance with Violence Restraining Orders, application for housing or accommodation, one on one counselling or mediation and help with conflict resolution.
  • Aboriginal Legal Service: The Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia (Inc.) (ALSWA) provides legal representation and support services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Western Australia, including advocating in policy and law reform in submissions, at conferences and in the media.
  • Department of Aboriginal Affairs:  The Western Australian Department of Aboriginal Affairs engages with Indigenous Western Australians and all levels of Government to improve the delivery of services, to facilitate the development of policy and programs which deliver sustainable economic, environmental and social benefits to Indigenous communities.
  • Moorditj Yarning:  Do you feel like having some space to talk about something on your mind? This is what Moorditj Yarning offers – a place and opportunity where you feel comfortable. You don’t have to go to them. They can meet somewhere that’s good for you. The counsellors at Moorditj Yarning have strong experience working with alcohol and drug problems, other health concerns such as diabetes, family and relationship issues, grief, loss and domestic violence. We can either meet you one-to-one or offer the chance to join one of our groups. These group meetings are informal, open to ideas – and can be fun too.
  • Office of Multicultural Interests
    The Office of Multicultural Interests (OMI) works to promote and maximise the many benefits of WA’s remarkable cultural diversity. They do this through working with government and non-government agencies and community groups to provide information, advice, funding, training and support to help build an inclusive and cohesive WA.
  • Multicultural Services Centre of WA Inc
    Multicultural Services Centre of W.A. is a community services organisation established to meet the settlement, welfare, education and training, cultural and related needs of culturally and linguistically diverse Western Australians.
  • Multicultural Women’s Advocacy ServiceThe Multicultural Women’s Advocacy Service promotes the safety of women, with or without children, from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds who have experienced or are at risk of domestic violence.The Service is available to women who are recent arrivals or long-term residents. They may be in crisis situations, in refuges, still remaining in their relationships or re-establishing themselves in the community after leaving refuges.

Banking Issues




Child Support

Child Support Agency (CSA)
Resources, calculator, forms, self-help tools, fact sheets and more.

Child Support Assistance (Legal Aid):  Client Services Child Support staff may be able to help you with a range of child support issues from applying to the Family Court for parentage testing to preparing a submission to the Child Support Agency  to have your child support changed.   More

Complaints & Dispute Resolution

Counselling, Mental Health & Support


  • Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT):  The Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) provides independent review of a wide range of administrative decisions made by the Australian Government and some non-government bodies
  • District Court of WA:  The District Court is an intermediate trial court placing it between the Magistrates Court and the Supreme Court in the Western Australian courts hierarchy.The District Court deals with serious criminal offences including serious assaults, sexual assaults, serious fraud and commercial theft, burglary and drug offences. The District Court also determines civil claims up to $750,000 and has unlimited jurisdiction in claims for damages for personal injury.
  • Family Court of Australia: Information about alternatives to Family Court proceedings; information about divorce, child issues and financial issues; information about the workings of the court; access to court forms and information relevant to proceedings at the court; contact details and links to other family law related websites and organisations; information relating to adoption and surrogacy applications.
  • Magistrates Court: the Magistrates Court deals with civil matters that involve:claims for debt or damages of up to $75,000; minor claims for debt or damages up to $10,000; consumer/trader claims over the sale, supply or hire of goods or services; residential tenancy matters involving amounts up to $10,000; and
    claims for the recovery of ‘real property’ up to a gross rental value of $75,000.
  • Supreme Court of WA:  The Supreme Court is the State’s highest court, with responsibility for both criminal and civil matters. It is also the State’s main appeal court. The Supreme Court is divided into two divisions – the General Division and the Court of Appeal.The General Division deals with very serious criminal charges, such as murder, armed robbery, arson and serious breaches of Commonwealth drug enforcement laws. This division also hears appeals from decisions of magistrates sitting in criminal matters in the Magistrates Court.Generally, it hears civil cases where the amount involved in the dispute is more than $750,000.The General Division also deals with probate (including disputes over wills), Admiralty (disputes involving ships), disputed elections and applications under the Corporations Act.


FCAWA has developed factsheets on issues commonly encountered by clients of financial counsellors. If the issue you want help with isn’t here, it may be listed under the Frequently Asked Questions page or Useful Links.


Legal Services

Small Business

State Government Departments





Find a financial counsellor near you

please enter 2 word suburb names in quotation marks - e.g. "north beach"

list all: metro | country | rural

Follow Us


Make a Donation

Make a Donation

Site Search

Log In

Copyright 2012 © Financial Counsellors Association of Western Australia.
Design by Tangelo - Built by Cyanweb Solutions.